WATER STREET MURAL PROJECT
The COVID-19 pandemic has meant the rapid closure of cultural institutions and spaces, forcing the cancellation of arts programming including First Friday, but with the challenges of living through a global pandemic, public art plays a more crucial role than ever. Artists help us make sense of our circumstances, encouraging observation, imagination, critical thinking, resiliency, and celebration; work that is essential to healthy communities and deserving of recognition, especially now.First Friday PTBO has been entrusted with the artistic transformation of the Commerce Building’s alleyway, and is excited to use this opportunity to hire a local artist/artists to execute a two-walled mural. FFPTBO is seeking local artists to submit proposals for this work that consider the following values and qualities:
- The core beauty of the art crawl: relationships formed and fortified through the magic of shared experiences with visual art;
- Variety – Considering Peterborough’s existing mural content, what can you propose that is different;
- The values and cultural interests of our city.Other proposal stipulations:-No business branding is allowed
- Selected artist(s) are not required to have previous mural experience
- Preference will be given to residents of Peterborough and the surrounding region
- The mural site is two walls that are 13 feet tall and 38 feet wide for a total area of 988 square feet.
- The mural must be completed using exterior latex paint only.
- A pair or group of artists may apply as a team, but must propose a complete and coordinated artwork for the two walls in question.
Proposals will be reviewed by a selection committee of local artists and community members appointed by the First Friday mural subcommittee, and deliberations will take place as soon as possible following the proposal deadline.Due to the accelerated nature of this call, artists are encouraged but not required to reformat existing work(s). The selected artist(s) will be responsible for beginning and completing the mural within the month of August, 2020. Exterior latex paint and accompanying supplies will be provided.
Proposal Deadline: Tuesday, August 4, 2020
- A concise description of and rationale for the proposed work (400 word max).
- Artist bio (200 word max)
- Equipment and technical requirements
- Two sketches of the proposed work (to scale)
- Up to three jpg images and one video of previous work (may be non-mural related).
- Curriculum vitae
- Specifications: Two brick walls, already primed, each 38ft wide x 13ft high
Upon completion, First Friday PTBO will be hosting a mural launch in September at which the selected artist(s) attendance is required. Date to be confirmed.
Please submit your application here: https://bit.ly/30AEN4V